Logan Senior High School

162 West First South • Logan, Utah 84321
Phone 435-755-2380 • Fax 435-755-2387
CEEB Code 450-170 • www.loganschools.org

The Students

Logan High School is a comprehensive, public four-year high school that serves the students living in Logan City, Utah. Currently, there are approximately 1728 students enrolled in grades nine through twelve. Logan High is in the shadow of Utah State University and our students and faculty enjoy many connections with USU. Of our LHS graduates, 45% go on to a 4 year university, along with another 15% that attend trade schools or junior colleges. Sixty-five (65%) percent of the students are Caucasian, with the remaining thirty-five (35%) percent divided among a variety of ethnic groups from around the world. The Latino population comprises the largest minority group at twenty-six (26%) percent. A significant number of students at LHS are from families who are at or near the poverty line. Forty-eight (48%) percent of the student population is currently receiving free or reduced lunch.

 

The Curriculum

The Logan High School academic program is organized on a semester course schedule and awards grades every quarter. Students have 7 classes per semester with 50-minute class periods and can earn 7.0 credits per school year. Graduating seniors are required to have a total of 24 credits, including the following core requirements: English (4 credits), Math (3 credits), Science (3 credits), Social Studies (3 credits), World Languages (1 credit), Fine Arts (1.5 credits), Healthy Lifestyles/Health (2 credits), Career Technical Education (1 credit), Educational Technology (.5 credit), and General Financial Literacy (.5 credit). Logan High graduation requirements exceed the State Board of Education minimum requirements. Logan High School is fully accredited by The Northwest Association of Accredited Schools.
Logan High School offers nearly 200 different courses including thirteen (13) Advanced Placement classes and sixteen (16) concurrent enrollment courses through Utah State University and Weber State University. Advanced Placement (AP) courses are offered in Art, American History, U.S. Government, European History, Psychology, Calculus AB, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, English Language, and English Literature. In the spring of 2015, Logan High students completed a total of 515 AP exams with a 78.4% pass rate. Of the 2015 graduating class, thirty (30%) had passed at least one AP test during their high school tenure. Logan High also claims home to 8 of the past 35 US Presidential Scholars in the state of Utah (since the year 2000), 4 more than the state runner-up. The health and success of Logan High School’s AP and Concurrent Enrollment programs demonstrate the comprehensive nature of the school and its commitment to academic rigor, intellectual excellence, global relevance, and strong interpersonal relationships.

 

Test Information

Many LHS students participate in the National Merit Scholarship Program, and Logan High averages six semifinalists each year. Using the ACT as the primary college admissions test, Logan City School District has committed our students to test preparation. Students are mandated to take the ACT Explore test in the 8th grade, the ACT PLAN test in the 10th grade, and the ACT in the 11th grade. While all of our juniors take the ACT, Logan High test scores have always exceeded the national and state average in all categories.
October 2015